Expansion for the game The Settlers of Catan. Cannot be played separately, main game necessary for play.
Warning! Product unsuitable for children below the age of 3. Possible choking hazard.
Traders & Barbarians is the third major expansion for The Settlers of Catan, although it is actually a compilation of small expansions and variants. (It is independent of the Seafarers and Cities & Knights expansions, but can be combined with them.)
This compilation includes 5 scenarios:
- The Fishermen of Catan – Originally released in the 05/2006 Spielbox magazine and then subsequently released in Games Quarterly magazine. Expanded in this edition.
- The Rivers of Catan – Originally released in the Atlantis scenario box, then subsequently in Games Quarterly magazine as “The Great River”. Expanded in this edition to include two rivers, one occupying 4 tiles, and one occupying 3.
- The Great Caravan – Originally released as a free expansion in Germany.
- Barbarian Invasion – New in this edition. – Barbarians are invading Catan and the players have to try to stop them with new knight pieces. This plays very similarly to the flood mechanic in the Atlantis scenario from the Atlantis and Das Buch scenario packs.
- Traders & Barbarians – New in this edition. – You get new hexes, one for the castle, one to produce glass, and one to produce marble. You try to rebuild Catan after the invasion. You get gold and victory points if you finish tasks in the castle, but to do so you have to travel back and forth to the castle on roads and undeveloped paths. There are still some barbarians around who interfere with trade routes.
Playing Time: 60 minutes